Some of my colleagues are flying over there as I type.
Sadly I am not one of those 'core technical' types and would only just get in the way.
But it does make me a tad frustrated, to sit here and work on a protracted emergency (just don't tell the donors!) and not be able to lend a hand where people are crying out for immediate assistance.
But it is a situation that calls for sensibilities to be retained despite emotional tendencies...
One of my favorite bloggers, Cashewman, puts it succinctly with some nice links.
Keep up to date with the situation here on reliefweb, and on who is doing what.
Many that doubt that cash actually gets anywhere near the hands of the needy (I know I used to) - But I promise you, it really does. I see it on a daily basis here.
I like these organisations.. but there are plenty more..
ActionAid Australia
Global Concern Australia
Medecins sans frontieres (MSF/ Docs without Borders)
Oxfam
Plan Australia
And yes, we are the biggest gang out there, but everyone needs FOOD (and Logs, Telecoms and UNHAS)... WFP
Natural Disasters will continue to occur, thank goodness compassion is limitless.
Thanks so much for this post Livvy - NP and I have been trying to work out who we should donate to - there are so many options! I liked Cashewman's advice a lot too.
ReplyDeletexx
oh i am glad it was useful for you. yes, it can all be a bit confusing knowing the best way to help.. you guys are so wonderful to think of donating :)
ReplyDeleteNo, we are lucky to be in a situation where we can donate.
ReplyDeleteYou have inspired a post over at Feeling Fuzzy?, Liv... hope you like it!