Wednesday, 8 July 2009

Inspiring...

I just finished the book "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson. I had heard a lot about him while working in Nepal and of the work that he had done in Pakistan and Afghanistan but it was not until I read of his journey over the past 15 years or so that I realised the impact he has had and also of the kind of person he must be - to endure so many challenges, to keep pushing on.. "Failure: When its Dark enough, you can see the stars."

His story is not dissimilar to the great Edmund Hillary's post-sumimit story in Nepal. A mountaineer who decides to give back a little to the people of the mountains and build schools and clinics. But Gregs story is also very different because he was an American, building schools for Muslim children, in the 9/11 era.. Not so straight-forward. He also stepped into a society with strict moral codes and immediately challenged it head on by striving to educate girls. 
"You can hand out condoms, drop bombs, build roads, or put in electricity, but until the girls are educated a society won’t change." - Greg Mortenson.

"If we try to resolve terrorism with military might and nothing else, then we will be no safer than we were before 9/11. If we truly want a legacy of peace for our children, we need to understand that this is a war that will ultimately be won with books, not with bombs." - Greg Mortenson

4 comments:

  1. very inspiring livvy! I loved hearing(reading!) it from your perspective.
    xxyumi

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to hear your stories and thoughts. I am reading 'what is the what' at the moment and often think of you. Have you read it? It makes me realise how little I know about so many places, their people and their histories and yet these are modern stories and events. Can't wait to see you some time, some where to have a long chat. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book. Greg Mortenson is truely in inspiration. Read it when I got back from Kathmandu and it made me miss the mountains. Just found your blog and will be keeping up with it. Love your photos! Keep in touch - Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like something I should read! Got myself hooked on twilight for the minute tho... woooops...

    Have you heard about the School of St Jude in Arusha, Tanzania? Another of those insane but inspirational humanitarian stories. An aussie gal from a sheep station in Guyra has set up an absolutely phenomenal school - every single student is sponsored (I think they have about 1100 students right now) and her moto is "fighting poverty through education". Very very very impressive.

    Liv, I am so jealous but inspired by your adventures, perspective on the world and the way you use your words and images. Thank you. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete